Monday, June 9, 2014

Elder Betty, Coffee Crisp, and Violet Crumble

  The following several posts are late in being posted. Other things took over and the post was stalled until my family convinced me I had truly been remiss.
February birthday celebration continues, with Elder Betty from Mad Hatter.

This beer has a good flavour that does justice to its name. The elderberry flavour complements the flavour of the beer. Not a heavy or strong flavour but an enjoyable one.

I also tasted  a couple of my Christmas gifts. The first, Coffee Crisp, is one of my wifes favourites. (Which shows how giving she can be) It is, however, confusing that she likes it, since its pleasent coffee flavour would normally have her spitting it out. She hates coffee.
Anyway a nice mild coffee flavour, with a crisp wafer, surrounded in a nice thin layer of chocolate. MMM...good.

Finally Violet Crumble, made by Nestle in Australia, a poor imitation of Crunchie bars, which I love. You might think by saying this I am saying I don't like Violet Crumble. Well, you would be wrong. I very much enjoyed this.It's just that I like Crunchie more.


Something interesting I did find with this, and several other chocolate/candy items: the recipe changes from country to country. England offers the best version. Australia's is still good, but not as good. And least favourite is Canada, where things like bicarbonate of soda can clearly be tasted in items like Crunchie bars. Normally it is either not present or very subtle.


No comments:

Post a Comment