Monday, July 14, 2014

Hong Kong Buffet and king cobra

Today the family, minus my oldest daughter, decided to go out for our, I guess you would say, main meal, to the local chinese buffet. The Hong Kong Buffet to be precise. I had not yet eaten, and since it was almost three p.m. I was, to say the least, hungry. The first plate was some fried rice, General Tso chicken (although I included several pieces of this almost everything else was just a taste sensation or in other words just enough to taste it), stir fried shrimp, some fish, pepper steak, and the thing they do with fake lobster and a mayonnaise type sauce. I also fit on some mussels.
The next plate was more chicken based: French chicken, ma la chicken, and sesame chicken. I also had an egg roll, some spinach with cheese, some green beans,and some crab Rangoons, (Very tasty. If you've never tried them, I recommend you do.), finishing the plate with stuffed mushrooms.
   I then had a bowl of soup, hot and sour of course. (Pretty much my favourite chinese soup.) I sprinkled some chopped green onion, pork, and noodles on it since, as my family will be the first to tell you, I like to turn soup into a solid.
  My dessert  consisted of a final piece of General Tso, with fried rice, a Chinese donut, some various bits of cake and pastries, stuffed with an almost, but unfortunately not, cream filling. I also had some fruit: mandarin oranges and lychee and a small piece of red Jelly, or jello as Americans call it.I  discovered years ago that  Chinese restaurants are some of the best places to get  jelly since most regular American buffets make  it too watery. I did a small serving of vanilla/chocolate twist ice cream with multi coloured sprinkles.
  Anytime they are available when I go to a Chinese buffet I finish the meal off with almond cookies, and today was no exception. As I discussed with my wife on the way from the restaurant, it might be Freudian, since my mother used to make congress tarts that had a similar flavour .
It would, as you see, take too long to give a detailed review of each and every item. So I will do this more in block fashion. Everything I mentioned above was very tasty, (My hunger, I am sure, affected my judgement.), with the following exceptions. The fish, as is often the case on a buffet, was very low on taste and obviously overcooked. The fake lobster and mayonnaise dish, usually a favourite, was apparently not popular today, and tasted like it had been up there for a long time. The egg roll was, even when dipped in a good Chinese mustard, bland. The Chinese donut was ok but  VERY greasy tasting. The pastries, as I mentioned, looked like they were filled with cream, and what they  had in them was definitely better than Boston cream (My description of Boston cream is: it's not from Boston and its not cream.), Anytime you can stuff a pastry, such as an eclair, with real whipped cream I recommend it. Anything else is at best, second best.
  So the food reviewed briefly we now get to the next part of the post the King Cobra.
If you eat Chinese there is a free bonus that comes with the meal, other than the cliche' part of being hungry twenty minutes later. ( By the way, after all of the above, hunger took 6-7 hours to resurface.) I am talking about the effect of all of that sodium. Yes, you get a powerful thirst. I drank about four glasses of water at the restaurant and a couple since I got home, but thirst still 
haunts me, so time to taste the King Cobra.


Why King Cobra? Well, it's cheap, and really does not taste that bad. Sorry to offend beer tasters everywhere, but it is flavourful, unlike Budweiser and Budlight. I would not choose this over almost any craft beer, but over a lot of American domestics it more than holds  its own.
I also added some Vernors ginger ale. 
Vernor's Group ShotThis makes for a slight twist on a British drink that Americans are now trying to emulate, called  shandy. Real shandy is a decent flavoured beer and British lemonade, which more closely resembles sprite. It's a way to enjoy a beer sensation with more liquid and less alcohol and a more refreshing flavour.Well since the chinese meal and the malt liquor make up almost every taste sensation of the day I guess today is covered. So until I taste again I bid you peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment