Saturday, December 14, 2013

Great Lakes Christmas Ale

  Today we put lights on the tree, so it seems like the right time to review one of my holiday traditions from recent years, the drinking of Great Lakes Christmas ale. Now, I don't wish to pretend this is my first time of the season that I  will enjoy this fine taste sensation, and I hope it wont be my last.
I have not yet worked out a format for these reviews, but here goes.
The official description from great lakes:

Flavor: Brewed with honey and spiced with
fresh ginger and cinnamon
Ingredients:
MALT
Harrington 2-Row Base Malt: Allows color and flavor from other specialty malts to come through; makes for very clean beer
Wheat: Adds body and head retention
Crystal 45: Contributes to copper color and adds sweet caramel aroma and flavor
Special Roast: Contributes subtle hints of toasty and biscuit flavors
Roasted Barley: Added in small amounts to contribute to overall complexity and color without overwhelming
HOPS
Mt. Hood: U.S. Provides subtle spicy and earthy aromas
Cascade: Used as an aroma hop; citrusy aroma complements beer’s heavy spices
SPICES
Honey: An adjunct to add strength and fresh floral notes
Cinnamon: Imparts festive aroma and flavor
Fresh Ginger: Adds spicy aroma and flavor

ABV: 7.5% ABW: 6.0% IBU: 30 GRAVITY: 17˚P

Now my review

The rich amber colour and quality head suggest promise of things to come.
The first reaction from my taste buds was very smooth  texture.Then the spices kick in. The cinnamon, ginger, and honey all fill my mouth with what I am going to call the taste of the Christmas holidays. This is not a beer for Scrooge He would, at least before the visit of the three spirits, not want to gain pleasure from something that so captures the essence of the holidays.
"Bah Humbug" he would say.
This is a beer for people who love beer, love life,love the Christmas holidays, and love great taste!
Sure there may be a beer that comes close to this in capturing the season. There may even be one that does a better job, (though I don't recall trying it yet), but that is a subject for other reviews. I instead will focus in this review on the beer at hand. Some, including myself, prefer this beer in draught form. However it is great even in a bottle, so I tip my glass to you and wish you and yours a very Happy Christmas season!

No comments:

Post a Comment